DATA WAREHOUSE FUNDAMENTALS
- A data warehouse is a logical collection of information-gathered from many different operational database-that supports business analysis activities and decision-making tasks.
- The primary purpose of a data warehouse is to aggregate information throughout an organization into a single repository in such a way that employees can make decisions and undertake business analysis activities.
- The data warehouse then send subsets of the information to data mart.
- A data mart contains a subsets of data warehouse information
*Figure above show compiles information from internal database or transactional database and external database through extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) which a process that extracts information from internal and external database, transforms the information using a common set of enterprise definitions, and loads the information into a data warehouse.
MULTIDIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS AND DATA MINING
- A cube is the common term for the representation of multidimensional information.
- Data Mining is the process of analyzing data to extract information not to offered by the raw data alone. It is known as 'knowledge discovery'
- To perform data mining user needs data mining tools
- Data Mining Tools use a variety of techniques to find patterns and relationships in large volumes in information and infer rules from them that predict future behaviour and guide decision making.
INFORMATION CLEANSING OR SCRUBBING
- Information cleansing or scrubbing is a process that weeds out and fixes or discards inconsistent, incorrect or incomplete information.
- It occur during ETL process and second on the information once if is in the data warehouse
- Business Intelligence refers to application and technologies that are use to gather, provide access to, and analyze data and information to support decision-making efforts.
Enabling Business Intelligence